Sunday 3 August 2014

An array of International foods to try out

I love shopping.
Especially at the international food and produce section of the supermarket.

I believe, that at the supermarket, one should get out of that cycle of buying those common things that you need, and explore a little. May it be a specialty supermarket like Spinneys, or a normal supermarket like Carrefour, I believe, that we all should just take the time out, and just roam around the aisles of the market. I guarantee you, that out of a thousand products, you will find at least one product, that really appeals to you, if you just explore the market a little.

But even if we make it into that section, ambiguous labels, with no trace of English on them, deter us from taking anything, and the fear of not knowing what the ingredients are scares us. SERIOUSLY?? What's the worst that could even happen? It's not like you're going to consume bugs by any chance, now, is it? OK, maybe even I have an inner fear of labels only in Chinese or Japanese, but keeping that aside, thanks to my little adventure at the market today, it looks like I found a few foods that I really, really like.

Interesting Stuff!
To be really frank, I could have never imagined, that I would begin to love roasted, wasabi flavored, Thai seaweed (Top left). It is the perfect snack; it's spicy, it's crispy, and it has a very, interesting flavor, that will surprise you, and also keep you craving for more. Then come the Russian sodas (Top center). This is amazing stuff. Never in my entire life, had I seen or tasted a Eucalyptus-flavored soda (the brown bottle), and then imagined myself actually liking it. These sodas usually come in amazing flavors, like pear, tarragon, and even pine.

Lyle's golden syrup (Top right) was really nice and rich in taste, but I couldn't find any recipes that actually highlight the taste of the syrup, or actually emphasize on it as the main ingredient as of yet. The Tek Sut Turkish clotted cream was the only item among all of these that I did not really like. The taste was slightly off, unlike normal, good quality clotted cream, and the only things that actually liked the clotted cream, were green colored fungi, which completely took over the stuff. It met it's place in the bin, ultimately.

Try picturing jelly, and chocolate together. I realized that the combination wasn't so bad after all, after trying out the Polish Raspberry Jelly chocolates (Bottom centre). It wasn't absolutely amazing, but it wasn't that bad either. Dark chocolate does seem to work out with fruity, raspberry jelly! But the best of the lot, was the Korean AnSungTangMyun (Bottom left). You can prepare the  packaged noodles in any way you want, and you still get that authentic Korean taste. For me, AnSungTangMyun with egg and scallion is a win-win combination.

Fantastic!

We can wrap all this up by just re-iterating my point - International food can be one of the best things that has happened to you. It all depends on how adventurous you are, and how much you are willing to experiment with new foods. Try using this kind of stuff in combination to your own food, and who knows, you might just come up with an award winning combination! Cream of roasted wasabi seaweed soup, anyone?  ^_^
 

No comments :

Post a Comment